Sunday, January 14, 2007

Guide to effective socialising

I think I need a book on this - "How to socialise effectively" such that you will leave a positive lasting impression on people. Haha. Due to go to HK next Sun for a training trip with my sales managers and my boss. No exact details of the trip as yet, only flight date, time and accomodation. As usual, information isn't forthcoming.

Anyway, I am suddenly gripped by fear. Fear of what would happen in HK, fear of meeting my overseas colleagues if they are also there for the software training. Fear because I DO NOT know anyone very well there! Fear because most of the managers go on business trips often and they know each other quite well. No one would talk to a small fry like me. I feel like an extra going on this trip but then again, not many people get opportunities to go overseas for business trips unless you are in sales or you are a high flyer? Whatever.

I am just super duper fearful. To make things worse, my colleague (whom I fell out with for no rhyme or reason) is going along! I cannot stand her superficialness and the hot and cold treatment she gives me. Please, please, do not let me share a room with her. What am I going to do during breakfast, lunch and dinner or even post dinner drinks if the training is at the hotel with other offices? Gosh. I may have to talk to her and I dread the ice wall she puts up and then pretend to be so friendly to another person. Dumb.

Also facing your boss for breakfast, lunch and dinner for 4 days is not a situation I look forward to in this company. My boss will talk to other bosses, or my managers will talk to other managers. Hmm... Who will I talk to? Should I just eat my food quietly and excuse myself to my hotel room for a rest? Hmmm... Of course, it was different in my previous company as the boss would make effort to get to know the staff and interact with them, making you feel valued. That was good. I mean I feel kind of valued by my current boss but she's not as gung-ho and open.

If those colleagues are going for post dinner drinks at Lan Kwai Fong, I hope I do not have to go along. One, I cannot hold my liquor. Two, I dont really like those places, don't ask me why, I just don't like. Three, I don't know how to interact with them! I think I shall just focus on shopping at Nathan Road and Tsim Sha Tsui.

Better pray hard everything goes smoothly and everyone is friendly and I will make effort to interact cautiously.

No comments: